Languages of Farland
There are only fifteen main languages in Farland. The human kingdoms speak a total of four languages, many of which are derived from the speech of Old Aelfar (which originally derived in part from Elhil or Elven) mixed with the language of the primitive tribes who lived in the space to which they migrated. They bear some words in common, but are different for the most part. The Farlandish tongue is the most widely used human tongue and is most likely to be understood by humans in Farland. It is something of a common tongue.
- 1. Farlandish (Great Speech) (Speakers of Farlandish can make an INT check with a DC of 10 to understand Kingdom Common. They must make this check once per encounter.) All humans use the Aelfarian alphabet.
- 2. Kingdom Common (Zeland, Orland, and the Halflings) (Speakers of Kingdom Common can make an INT check with a DC of 12 to understand Farlandish. They must make this check once per encounter).
- 3. Kalish (Kale) (Speakers of Kalish can make an INT check with a DC of 14 to understand Kelevan. They must make this check once per encounter).
- 4. Kelevan (Kelerak and Daven) (Speakers of Kelevan can make an INT check with a DC of 14 to understand Kalish. They must make this check once per encounter)
- 4a. Anarian (Barbarian tongue of the Northern Wastes)
- 5. Blackspeech (orcs, goblins, trolls, ogres, kobolds, gnolls, and other monsters).
- 5a. Blackspeech, Secret (old blackspeech)
- 6. Khazdun (Dwarven-- hill and mountain, both only slightly different). Hill Dwarves can make an INT check with a DC of 5 to understand Mountain Dwarven and vice versa. They must make this check once per encounter. Hill uses the Mithaud alphabet, and mountain uses the Wawmar alphabet; both are runic. Speakers of Dwarven can also understand Dark Dwarven with an INT check DC 16. Dwarven is never taught to non dwarves.
- 7. Tendenarrish (Gnomish) Speakers of Gnomish can understand Dwarven with a DC 20 INT check and vice versa.
- 8. Dark Dwarven (the language of Duergar and Derro and other related beings of the Dark Deeps.) Speakers of Dark Dwarven can can understand Dwarven on an Int check DC 18.
- 9. Elhil (Elvish, called Altarian or High Speech, uses the Elwar alphabet.) Speakers of Elven can make an INT check with a DC of 15 to understand Farlandish. They must make this check once per encounter. Elves can also understand Dark Elven with a DC 18 check.
- 10. Mordularian (Dark Elven) Dark Elves can understand Elven with an Int check DC 18. They must make this check once per encounter.
- 10a. Dark Elven Handspeech
- 11. Undercommon
- 12. Dragon (Good dragons make an INT check DC 7 to understand the dialect of evil dragons and vice versa).
- 13. Fairy (related to Elven. Speakers of Fairy understand Elven with an INT check DC 10).
- 14. Old Speech (language of most good or neutral monsters, with slightly different dialects).
- 15. Undersea Common
- 15a. Undersea Blackspeech
Blackspeech, the language of orcs, has gradually come to be spoken by nearly all evil monsters. Blackspeech is something of a common tongue in the occupied lands. Creatures from other planes or continents obviously speak different languages, and there are several dead languages not present above, such as Aelfarian, that it may be possible for a character to learn to speak.